Today is my anniversary. Specifically, it is the anniversary of my marriage to the most wonderful, beautiful, and supportive wife on the planet. It is our seventh such celebration, and barring an unforeseen death, it is only one of many to come.
On a side note, my wife and I got pizza from Francesco’s in Grandville, Michigan near our house recently. It is the only the fourth time that we’ve ordered from Francesco’s, but it is quickly becoming our favorite pizza place. They have the perfect mix of quality toppings, good sauce, tasty crust, close proximity, and low-cost. But anyway, the point of my telling you about Francesco’s is that I was recognized when I went in by the guy behind the counter.
“You’re the guy that loves his wife,” he said as he greeted me.
“That’s me,” I answered.
The reason he said that is because the last time I picked up our pizza there, I was wearing my “I love my wife” t-shirt. It’s one of my favorite shirts and I wear it as often as it is clean enough to do so. My wife has one that says “I love my husband” and she wears hers almost as often.
Yeah, we are that couple.
But I thought it was cool that an almost perfect stranger recognized me as the guy that loves his wife. I honestly hope that comes through to everyone. But just in case you missed it, I love my wife.
In fact, as today is my seventh anniversary, I thought I would share with the world seven things that I love about my wife.
- I love her looks – This may sound vain, but looks are just about the first thing that you can know about a person. Also, my wife is beautiful. I apologize to all of the other guys out there who would have liked to marry a beautiful woman, the best is already taken.
- I love her sense of humor – I didn’t lead with this because whenever you say that someone has a good sense of humor, the implication is that they are unattractive. Somehow, my wife got both beauty and humor. Life isn’t fair sometimes. Case in point, I just have a good sense of humor.
- I love her budgetary skills – My wife is a saver. Even in video games, her goal is to have the most amount of gold in her treasure chest. Beating the bad guy comes second. Ever since we got married, she has been the one in charge of our finances. I have no shame in saying this. There is a good reason that she became an accountant. She is great with money.
- I love her faith – My wife is an incredible encouragement to me as a Christian. She is on her third or fourth way through the Bible since we’ve been married. This time through, I’ve been joining her. We do three chapters a day, which is entirely doable by the way, and we’re already more than halfway through. Anyway, she keeps me accountable to be in the Word, and I do the same for her. And I can’t think of a day where she doesn’t tell me that she is praying for me.
- I love her sense of style – My wife is a no-nonsense type girl when it comes to her appearance. Some men could complain about how their wives spend too much time in front of the bathroom mirror applying makeup or doing their hair just so, but my wife doesn’t mess with makeup and most mornings a blow dry is all she needs for her hair to look perfect. And as far as her clothing and accessories go, my wife wears modest, professional clothes to work, and jeans and sweatshirts around the house (she is always cold) and always looks ravishing in them. She has one purse to hold essentials and only a few pairs of shoes to fit her outfits.
- I love her cooking – My wife is one of those people who makes things from scratch when we have time. Even before we were married, she did stuff like make strawberry jam and bake perfect dinner rolls. She’s a whiz in the kitchen and my waistline is the proof.
- I love her work ethic – To say that my wife is a hard worker would be an understatement. Whether it was working toward her degree (which she got this past year), working at her job (which she did while working toward her degree), or working in her home (and let’s face it, being married to me is a full-time job in itself), my wife puts all of herself into everything she does.
- I love how supportive she is – I know that I said that I would only say seven things, but I had to mention this. My wife has always encouraged me to pursue my passions, not only with her words but by sacrificing her time with me so that I could write. This is no easy thing for her. Time together is how she feels most loved, and to give that up is an expression of her love for me. I don’t ever want to squander such a precious gift, and I hope she knows how much I appreciate this, as well as how much I appreciate her.
For anyone who is still reading this novel-length post, I hope that you can find what I have. If you are married, please do something selfless for your spouse today. If you are not married, maybe just be the type of person you would want to be married to. And if you don’t fall into one of those categories, I have no idea what category you would fall into, so good luck with that.
Anyway, DeAnne Mosey, I love you.