There are a few reasons.
- Martin’s books are long, which means that it will be a while until I am able to pick a new book.
- If I finish the fifth book in the series, I’ll have to wait for the sixth book to be released anyway, so why rush? After all, it took Martin a few years longer than anticipated to release book five.
- There are at least three other new books that I have sitting on my book shelf that I also want to read.
- I keep thinking about the advice that C. S. Lewis gave on reading books: “It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.” Maybe I should pick up a book that I’ve read before.
- Being between books is akin to having all possibilities open before me, and I don’t know if I want to give that up.
Those are my reasons. Well, except for the last one. That one should probably be interpreted in that I have trouble deciding between two or three good options. But that just seemed too honest to say outright.
So I turn to you, Reader.