I’ll be turning 31 in less than a month. And that’s okay. In fact, it’s good.
Here are a few reasons why:
– I am well beyond the college years, and don’t have to worry about things like partying or staying up all hours of the night. I can go to bed when I want to. No regrets.
– I’m old enough to worry more about others than myself. In grade school and below, kids have no idea what empathy is. In high school and college, you are a too worried about your appearance/schoolwork to think about other people. After college, you have to worry about finding a job and paying rent/mortgages. Everything is in crisis mode. But by 31, you have a career. Maybe even kids. And you have time to start putting others first.
– No milestone this year. You don’t have to worry about the heavy weight of entering your 30’s. You are already here. And the next milestone (40) is still a long way off. Enjoy it!
– Age restrictions mean nothing to you. You’ve been able to drink (legally) for ten years now. It’s old-hat. You know what the next age-restriction is? Retirement, which is a pretty laughable concept anyway if you are just now turning 31, because Social Security is going to be long gone by the time you qualify.
– You can comfortably mingle with people of all ages. You probably work with people both older and younger than you. You are not too old to relate to college folk. You may have young kids of your own, so you feel pretty comfortable around the younger crowd. And by now, you’ve entered a new phase of relationship with your parents and people of similar age. There is no one you can’t talk to.
I’m sure there are a lot of things that I am missing. I couldn’t possibly know them all, since I am not yet 31. But I am looking forward to experiencing a birthday with no emotional rollercoasters. It’s been a couple of years (29=last year of your 20’s, 30=whole new decade).
What are some of the perks of your age?